Your LinkedIn Network ~ Too Big?
Your LinkedIn Network ~ Too Big? Believe it or not, LinkedIn celebrates its 10-year anniversary in May 2013. For those of us who have been connecting since the early days, here’s a thought:
Your Network Might Be Too Big
Recently I took a close look at my nearly 400 connections. I’m conservative by nature, and favor quality over quantity. Yet, on close examination I recognized that many of my connections no longer held any relevance to my professional life.
The bottom line was that my contacts list was approaching that holy grail of 500+ connections and had become cluttered with stale relationships.
So I decided to do something about it.
How I Reduced my LinkedIn Contacts by 10%
The decision to remove a connection is one that should be done thoughtfully. Here are the 2 questions I asked myself:
- Would I welcome a call from this person?
- Would I make a call or otherwise endorse this person [or this person’s business] to a trusted colleague?
If the answers to both questions was no, I wrote their name on a notepad.
When I was done going through my contacts list, I went back and removed these older and non relevant connections in small batches. Proceed slowly, you do not want to mistakenly disconnect from someone.
Many suggest that more LinkedIn connections leads to more opportunities. I agree this can be the case for some, a corporate recruiter or realtor comes to mind. But for those of us who grow our businesses one relationship at a time, greater value comes from having a tailored and select network that you interact with at least on an annual basis.
This exercise gave me a fresh start for 2013; my existing connections are relevant to the work I am doing today and I’ve made better room for the new connections I expect to make in the year ahead.
4 Steps To Remove a LinkedIn Connection
- Log into your LinkedIn profile and click on Contacts.
- Over in the right hand corner you will see Remove Connections.
- Select the people you’d like to remove from your Connections, and then click the Remove Connections button.
- Your connections will not be notified that they have been removed and you can always reconnect with them in the future.